Kalabasa (squash) was my favorite vegetable when I was a child. Actually it was the only vegetable that I liked eating back then. Two of my favorite kalabasa dishes are Ginataang Kalabasa with Shrimps, and Ginisang Kalabasa paired with Inihaw na Liempo.
The other day I felt like making soup, and tried out a recipe I found for Creamy Kalabasa Soup. This soup is so deliciously filling I needed nothing else for lunch. The addition of the bacon and croutons make this a hearty meal. The kids loved it too because of the creamy smooth texture of the soup.
Here's the recipe. You will need the following:
1 onion chopped
1 tablespoon oil
4 cups water
1 chicken bouillon cube
1 kilo kalabasa, peeled and cut into cubes
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon white pepper
1 pack all-purpose cream
1/4 cup cooked bacon, crumbled
1. In a pot heat oil, then saute onions until translucent. Add water and chicken bouillon cube. Stir until cube is dissolved. Add kalabasa, cover and cook for 15 minutes.
2. Using a handheld blender, process the kalabasa until smooth. You may also process it in a blender in batches.
3. Return pureed kalabasa to the pot. Season with salt and pepper. Add the cream. Stir.
4. Pour soup into individual bowls top with bacon bits and croutons. Serve hot.
2 1/2 stick unsalted butter
1 tablespoon dried granulated garlic
2 teaspoons dried basil
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1 loaf white bread, cut into cubes
1. Heat the oven to 225 degrees.
2. In a saucepan over low heat melt the butter. Remove from heat and stir in garlic, basil, salt and cayenne.
3. Place the bread cubes in a large mixing bowls. Add the seasoned butter and quickly toss to evenly coat the bread cubes.
4. Spread the bread cubes on a baking sheet and bake until it turns golden brown.