Double Dark Chocolate Cake:
1. Preheat oven to 175°C. Greese 2 8-inch round cake pans with butter.
2. Whisk flour, granulated sugar, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a large bowl. Add vinegar or lemon juice to milk (this is a substitute for buttermilk), and mix with brown sugar, egg, oil and vanilla. Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and beat with an electric mixer on medium speed for 2 minutes. (The batter will be quite thin.) Divide the batter equally into the prepared pans.
3. Bake the cake until a skewer inserted in the center comes out clean, about 33 minutes. Cool completely in the pan on a wire rack before assembled and frosted with chocolate glaze.
1. Cook all ingredients in a small heavy saucepan over low heat, whisking until smooth.
2. Cool for 10 minutes.
1. Ensure that the two layers of cake fit perfectly. Do make any adjustements and cut out some parts if necessary.
2. Pour the warm glaze over the first layer and coat evenly. Sprinkle the chopped digestive biscuits randomly, so as to give a nice layer of crunch and colour. Stack the other layer of cake on top, and pour the warm chocolate glaze over and coat the entire cake. Add the pitted cherries to the cake and decorate it however you want it :)
3. Let the cake cool in the refridgerator so the chocolate can firm up and set.