Slowly but sure, I will post the recipe of Eid ul-Fitr. You can tell by the ingredients, this Gulai Kambing or Goat Curry was influenced by Indian culinary. I enjoyed the Gulai Kambing with lontong (Indonesian rice cake) or nasi (warmed steamed rice).
This recipe is quite popular among Natural Cooking Club (NCC) members and posted by one of my multiply's buddy, Nining. It's Fatmah Bahalwan's recipe. Since the recipe is in bahasa Indonesia, I translated into English. It didn't state to have yogurt or EV coconut/olive oil, so I did modify the recipe by combining coconut milk and yogurt, also substituting vegetable oil for EV coconut oil. Yogurt is one of ingredients that believed for tenderizing meat.
Recipe by Fatmah Bahalwan, modified by me
2 kgs goat meats (I prefer the ones with bones)
3 cm length cinnamon stick, ground
4 cloves, ground
1/4 cup yogurt
4 L water
Spices to grind:
3 tbsp coriander seed
1 tbsp white pepper
1 tsp cumin
1 tsp fenugreek
5 green cardamom
5 cloves garlic
3 cm length ginger
5 cm length galangal
3 cm turmeric
5 tbsp EV coconut/olive oil
1 onion, thinly sliced
4 kaffir lime leaves
3 Indonesian bay leaves
2 lemon grass, take the white part and bruised
225 mL thick coconut milk
25 mL water
1. Marinate goat meat with yogurt, ground cinnamon and clove for 1 hour. Set aside.
2. In a pot, bring 4 L water to boil.
3. Add marinated goat meat and bring to reboil, then add kaffir lime leaves.
4. At medium-high heat, add oil to a another pot. Stir fry lemon grass until fragrant then add onion and stir occasionally until wilted.
5. Combine all ground ingredients to the pan, stir fry until done and fragrant. Ladle small amount of goat's broth into the spices' pot and stir.
6. Combine spices' mixture into the pot of goat's mixture. Cook until the meat tender.
7. Pour thick coconut milk and 25 mL water and reboil. Set aside.
8. Ready to serve, garnish with fried shallot and acar (Indonesian pickled cucumber, chili, shallot and carrot) or asinan (Indonesian pickled fruit). Report a mistake in the recipe text