My previous creation on Steamed Creamy Custard Bun is popular, until today it still my most popular post. I guess lot of people like the creamy custard! This round I'm trying out using Carol's (???) creamy custard recipe with modifications in the custard ingredients, more healthy version if compared to my previous creation as no evaporated milk and coconut milk but sweet corn and cheese!
Sweet corn custard filling using ingredients such as milk, butter, sugar, eggs, cheese, sweet corn, corn flour, and plain flour.
Recipe adapted from Carol?'s ???, with modifications
Custard Filling Ingredients:
50g caster sugar
50g unsalted butter
10g cheese (used 30g)
25g corn flour
25g plain flour
100g creamy sweet corns (used can sweet corns)
1 chopped salted egg yolk (omitted)
1. Add milk, sugar and butter in pot, stir under low heat until bubbles.
2. Eggs lightly beaten, add in cheese, corn flour and plain flour, mix well the egg mixture.
3. Add the egg mixture batter into (1), stir well.
4. Bring the pot over the low heat, keep stirring until thicken. Add creamy sweet corns and salted egg yolk (omitted), until it form a soft dough.
400g bao flour
1 tsp instant dry yeast
200ml warm milk
some vegetable shortening
1. Place the yeast into warm milk for 5 mins.
2. Add all above dry ingredients into a bowl, graduately pour in the milk. Knead until it form a nonsticky dough, add the vegetable shortening and knead until the dough is smooth and elastic.
3. Form a ball and place in a bowl cover with damp cloth. Let it proof for 1 hour.
4. Once proofing complete, press out the air and form a long dough. Divide the dough into 18 nos.
5. Flatten the dough, stuff in custard filling in the middle, wrap it into small ball.
6. Place bao dough on a piece of baking paper and let it proof for another 40 mins.
7. Place bao dough in the preheat steamer and steam for 10~12 mins.
Make 18 nos.
The colour of the filling is much pale if compared with the filling that contains custard powder, the filling is very creamy, not crumble and I love the sweet corns in it! The one with coconut milk has stronger frangrance, if you are sweet corns lover this will be the better version! Report a mistake in the recipe text