Yes, this really is the best noodle Kugel! And, yes, there are lots of recipes out there for noodle kugel but I never need to try any of them .... I have always made what we here think is the best.
This is a family recipe I learned from my mother-in-law, Lil. You remember her from these. Well this kugel has been made in this house for well over 30, (ok, almost 40 years!) and it's always a welcome and comforting dish, no matter what season or holiday. And it's so easy to throw together.
The graham cracker crumbs sprinkled on top give the dish an added crunch... the creaminess going on from all the dairy in there...and then the white raisins adding a bit of tang. Can you tell I love it! The only other thing needed would be a dollop of sour cream.
I really hope you'll give it a try. This recipe makes enough for an 11 x 7 inch baking dish but for a larger crowd just double it and you'll have a lot of happy people!
Put the eggs and sugar into a blender and give it a whirl.
Then add in the cream cheese, cottage cheese and sour cream and give that a spin.
Boil the noodles and drain them ( but don't rinse them), then stir in the butter til it melts.
Into the pot with the noodles, stir in the egg, sugar and cheese mixture.
Throw in the white raisins and stir it all to get it well mixed.
Pour the mixture into a baking dish or casserole dish and sprinkle the top with the crushed graham crackers, then a little sugar over that.
Bake for between 30 and 40 minutes (depending on your oven). The kugel should be still a little wet and it will continue to set after it comes out of the oven.
Let it sit for about 20 to 30 minutes before cutting.Best Noodle Kugel
( My family recipe)
For a larger crowd, double the amounts and use a 13 x 9" glass dish.
1/2 cup sugar
4 oz. cream cheese, softened
8 oz. cottage cheese, creamed or small curd ( I used 4% milkfat)
8 oz. sour cream, full fat
1/2 lb. wide egg noodles
2 oz. unsalted butter (1/2 stick)
3/4 cup white raisins
1 sleeve graham crackers ( 9 crackers) crushed
Sugar (for sprinkling over the top), approx. 2-3 tbsp.
Preheat oven to 350. You will need an 11 x 7" baking dish. ( I never bother to butter it and it never sticks).
1. Put the eggs and sugar into the blender and give it a spin to combine.
2. Add in the cream cheese, cottage cheese and sour cream and blend to combine.
3. Meanwhile, boil the noodles til slightly underdone ( al dente) and drain off the water but don't rinse them.
4. Add in the butter and stir til the butter is melted with the noodles.
5. Pour in the egg/sugar/cheese mixture and stir it well.
6. Stir in the raisins, then pour the mixture into your baking dish.
7. Sprinkle the top all over with the graham cracker crumbs, then sprinkle the sugar over the crumbs. Try to make sure all the noodles are under the crumbs so they don't dry out while baking.
8. Bake for between 30 and 40 minutes, or til the kugel looks set but still slightly moist as it continues to set after it comes out of the oven.
9. Let it set up before cutting for about 20 minutes or so. It's always best served warm just out of the oven. It can be reheated, wrapped in foil and placed in a warm oven. It's also great cold!