Tried and tasted by Nivedita
Colorful food!!! We all get attracted towards colorful food. Here is the recipe for colorful chapati! My mom and me prepared it together. She loves to try new food and always supports me with my cooking ideas.
She prepares it for kids parties or some get together functions.
I will directly go to the recipe as the procedure is long. But I have taken the step by step photos. It will be easy for me to write the recipe and easy for you to follow it to make.
Step 1 :
Ingredients required :
Wheat flour - 1 bowl each for 3 vegetables.
Spinach - 2 big bunch
(I used only one, as I had only one with me)
Carrot - 2 big
Beet root - 1 big
Salt to taste for each dough
Oil for each dough
Be careful about using chilly as it is mainly served for kids.
Green chilly - 1 for spinach
Red chilly powder - 1 tsp for beet root
Orange color chilly - 1 (optional if you have)
or skip it.
Oil to fry chapatis.
1. Wash, clean, chop and boil the spinach for few minutes. Remove and put in the cold water for a minute. Strain and puree it with the hands. Do not use blender as it will be watery and needs more flour.
2. Wash, clean and boil the carrot and beetroot separately. (I cooked in the cooker for 2 whistles.)
Mash the carrot and puree it again with the hands.
3. Grate the beetroot with small grater and keep it aside.
Step 3 :
Take 3 plates or big bowls.
1. Take one cup of wheat flour. Add pureed spinach, crushed green chilly, salt and oil. Knead it into dough.
2. Take another cup of wheat flour in one more plate. Add mashed carrot, crushed orange chilly(if using), salt and oil. Knead it into dough.
3 . Take 3rd cup of wheat flour in third plate. Add Grated beetroot, Red chilly powder, salt and oil. Knead it into dough.
Be careful about adding water when making the dough.
Keep aside for 10 to 15 minutes.
Step 4 :
Make long rolls with each dough. Like this :
Step 5 :
Follow the photo to keep the rolls on each other :
Step 6 :
Slowly cut the roll into equal pieces :
Step 7 :
Gently press the pieces.
Step 8 :
Roll each piece into chapatis.
Step 9 :
Fry each chapati with little oil. And chapatis are ready to eat.
Now for the Tomato chutney :
Raw or green tomato - 3 medium, cleaned, chopped
Green chilly - 2 or less if for kids
Cumin seeds - 1/2 tsp
Oil - 1 tsp
Curry leaves -few
Garlic - 6 cloves
Jaggery - 1 tbsp or more depending on the sourness of tomato
Fry all the ingredients together for 5 minutes and keep it to cool.
Fresh coconut - 2 tbsp
Salt to taste
Fresh coriander - 1 tbsp
Add the fried ingredients with fresh coconut, salt, fresh coriander and put it into blender to make into fine paste.
Tomato chutney is ready.
Sending this to Srivalli's monthly event "Kid's Delight,". And this month's theme is
Announcing Kid's Delight ~ Colouring your Kid's Delight!
I am sending this to
Announcing Global Kadai - Indian flavoured flatbreads ! by Sandhya of Sandhya's Kitchen
Providing the link back to Cilantro's page as per the rule.