Happy valentines day to all my viewers. This is my most comfort & tasty rice variety, which I cook very often for my DH lunch box. I always prepare the vangibath powder & store it in the freezer for a week or more. It makes my cooking very simple & easy. Best way to serve this rice is with papads or with raitas as well.
Green / purple Brinjal - 100 gms (or eggplant - 1 medium sized)Basmati rice - 1 cupOil - 1 tbspChanna dal - 1 tspMustard seeds - 1 tspTamarind pulp -1/2 tspA pinch of jaggeryOnion - 1 noPotato - 1 small sizedTurmeric powder - 1/4 tspVangibhath powder Dry coconut powder - 1 tspRoasted cashewnuts for garnishingSalt to taste
For vangibhath powder :
Red chillis - 2 nos (or black pepper corns)Corriander seeds - 1 tspPoppy seeds - 1/4 tspUrad Dal - 1 tspChanna Dal - 1 tspDry coconut powder - 1/2 tspCinnamon stick - 1 noClove - 2 nosSesame seeds - 1/4 tsp1/4 tsp hing
Dry roast the above ingredients & grind it to smooth powder.
Direction to cook :
1. Cook the rice & allow it to cool.
2. Meanwhile, heat oil in the pan. Add channa dal, mustard seeds, finely chopped onions & then cut potato slices. Cook till tender.
3. Slice the brinjals in lengthwise & add them to the above mixture. Add turmeric powder & salt to taste.
4. Add tamarind pulp & coconut powder. Cook till brinjals are done.
5. Now add grounded vangibath powder & a pinch of jaggery. Add cooked rice & mix them throughly till nicely combined.
6. Add roasted cashewnuts.
Serve with papads or raita.