I have already given the recipe for mattai aval vadagam. Mattai aval is very firm and so you have to grind it to prepare the dough. White aval is soft compared to brown aval. You don't have to grind it. I am giving the recipe for white aval vadagam here. This is also a very easy vadagam recipe. It is very delicious and is my hubby's and daughter's favourite.
White Aval/ Rice Flakes- 1 kg (as we are preparing for 1 year)
1. Wash aval thrice. Add water enough to soak the aval. The water level should be 1/2cm above the aval level. Soak for 30 minutes.
2. Grind green chillies and asafoetida to a smooth paste.
3. Add this paste to soaked aval.
4. Start kneading it by hand. The aval should get mashed and come to firm dough consistency.
5. Sprinkle water if needed. The rice flakes will absorb lot of water, so keep a bowl with water handy.
6. Once the dough have come together, take it to your terrace.
7. Spread a clean cloth. Take small amount of the dough and shape it into a ball.
8. Pinch small portions from this ball and arrange it on the cloth.
9. Sprinkle water if the dough becomes dry. Keep the dough coverd while working, because it dries fast. Finish with the whole dough.
10. In evening, if the vadagam has dried, it will come out of the cloth. You need not sprinkle water.
11. If the vadagam doesn't come out without sticking, then fold the cloth and keep it covered till morning. Dry it again the next day.
12. If the vadagam is dry, then remove it from the cloth and transfer it to a large container.
13. Next day, place the vadagams on a large plate and keep it in sun.
14. When completely dry store in air tight jar and fry it when needed.
Soak Aval for 30 minutes
Add the green chilly paste
Knead it to a firm dough
Take a small ball out of the dough
Pinch small portion from the ball onto a cloth
Completed keeping vadagams
After 1 day of drying
Dry for the next day also
Completely dried vadagam
Check out my Blogging Marathoners doing Group 3 BM#4 along with me
Kamalika, Smitha, Suma
Kid Friendly Recipes:
Anusha, Cool Lassi(e)
Seven Days of Soup:
Seven Days of Indian Bread:
Seven Days of Cakes:
Seven Days of Preserves
: Gayathri Kumar, Vaishali
30 Minutes Meals:
Priya Mahadevan, Srivalli