Mee hoon or Bee hoon is a very popular dish in Singapore and also in Malaysia. You can find this delicious dish easily because it's widely sold around many street corners by hawkers.
It is fast food for many Singaporeans who can grab one at noon or on the way back from work. It is basically a noodle dish but with elaborate additions and some stalls have developed their unique versions that make them attractive and have successfully built fanatic fans bases.
3 tbsp oil
200 g meehon, soaked and drained
2 eggs, beaten, fried and shredded
2 tbsp oil
1 tbsp chopped garlic
1 onion, shredded
100 g char xiu, shredded
100 g prawn meat
50 g Chinese cabbage, shredded
50 g bean sprout
2 red chillies, shredded
50 g chives, cut into 3 cm length
Seasoning (Mixed) :
3 tbsp tomato sauce
1 tbsp chilli sauce
1 tbsp oyster sauce
2 tbsp worcestershire sauce
1 tbsp light soya sauce
1 tsp dark soya sauce
dash of sesame oil, salt and pepper
100 ml water
1. Heat up 3 tbsp oil, put in meehon and pan-fry until golden brown and aromatic.
2. Soak in hot water for a short while.
3. Dish and drain.
4. Heat up 2 tbsp oil, saute chopped garlic and onion shreds until fragrant (Ingredients B).
5. Add in all ingredients C and stir-fry until fragrant.
6. Add in meehon, seasoning and stir-fry until well mixed.
7. Dish up.
8. Add in shredded fried eggs (from Ingredients A) and serve with lime juice.
Note: As an alternative meehon may be soaked with water till soft but the pan-fried meehon will yield more aromatic flavour.
Wok Cooking Made Easy: Delicious Meals in Minutes (Learn to Cook Series)
Hawkers' Fair... Best of All Time Favourites by Chef Phang Fah