In honor of my lovely puppy's first birthday, I made him a cake. Finn loves peanut butter and bananas, so I used both of those ingredients in this simple cake.
The best thing about dogs is that they will pretty much eat anything, so don't fret over your lack of baking skills. The one thing to remember when baking for dogs is to avoid chocolate (obviously), raisins (or grapes), macadamia nuts, and too much sugar.
I wanted to frost this cake, which adds sugar, so I avoided putting any sugar into the actual cake. To frost, I used the same white yogurt chips I used in the Dog Valentine?s Day Cookies I made a few weeks ago.
It all turned out beautifully and Finn was a happy pup ( as was his older sister, who got to share the cake)!Peanut Butter and Banana Doggie Cake
-1 cup all purpose flour
-1 teaspoon baking soda
-1/2 teaspoon salt
-1/4 cup creamy all natural (no sugar added) peanut butter (microwave it for 30-45 seconds so that it is runny)
-1 large or 2 small bananas, smashed
-1/4 cup canola oil
-approximately 3/4 cup water
-non stick pan spray
1. Pre-heat oven to 375 degrees F
2. Spray a standard 8 inch round cake pan with non stick pan spray.
3. In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda, and salt. Add the oil, egg, peanut butter and smashed banana and mix with a wooden spoon. Add in the water as needed to make the mixture the consistency of a typical cake batter.
4. Pour the batter into the round pan and bake for about 40 minutes. Remove cake from pan and allow it to completely cool before icing.
Doggie Cake Icing
-1 cup white yogurt chips
1. Microwave the yogurt chips for 2-3 minutes, stopping every 30 seconds to stir. Once chips are completely melted, pour it over the cake and spread with a spatula.
2. Use the kibble to write your dog's first initial.
3. Allow to harden (should take about 30 minutes).
(If you want to get fancy, you can use a drop of food coloring and dye a few tablespoons of the icing. Then, use a pastry bag or standard ziploc bag to write your pup's name or anything else!)
They loved it!