I am a huge fan of Bethenny Frankel (I love the The Real Housewives of New York City and Bethenny Getting Married) and I recently started following her on Twitter. Every day someone tweets her about how they tried one of her recipes and it was amazing. Bethenny's recipes are healthy and often vegetarian, so of course I was intrigued. I wondered if the food would live up to all the hype.
Bethenney's website and books have several recipes I want to try. Last weekend I started with her molten chocolate cupcakes. They are egg, wheat, and dairy free and fairly healthy. I was thrilled with the results. They are rich, but not too sweet and eating one feels like an indulgent treat. I will definitely be trying more of her recipes and reporting my results here.
The only thing I changed in the recipe is that I used regular chocolate chips (not dairy free chocolate). I assume that dairy free chocolate would give you the same results. These are best served warm because the chocolate chips are gooey and delicious.
Bethenny's Molten Chocolate Cupcakes
(makes 12, recipes was found here and my changes are listed below)
?1 1/2 C oat flour (or wheat flour) (I used wheat flour)
?1/2 C unsweetened cocoa powder
?1 tsp. baking powder
?1/2 tsp. baking soda
?1/8 tsp. salt
?4 oz. silken tofu
?3/4 C soy milk
?3/4 C maple syrup
?1/2 cup canola oil
?2 tsp. vanilla extract
?1/4 tsp. lemon juice
?Confectioners sugar for decoration
?1 bar of dairy-free chocolate (or dairy-free chocolate chips) (I used 1/3 cup reglar semi-sweet chocolate chips)
1. Sift first five dry ingredients (flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda and salt) together.
2. Blend wet ingredients (tofu, soy milk, maple syrup, canola oil, vanilla extract, and lemon juice) in blender.
3. Mix wet and dry ingredients with whisk in bowl, and slowly add the chocolate chips.
4. Bake at 350 degrees for 35 to 45 minutes (when toothpick comes out clean) in greased, straight-edged muffin tins.
5. Dust with confectioner's sugar. (I found that these are best served warm.)Report a mistake in the recipe text