Here is another good Vietnamese dessert. This serve with coconut milk...the more the better..mmmmmmm :)
1 cup glutinous rice
1-2 lb taro (get the one with purple inside)
1/2 cup sugar
1 tsp pandan paste
1/2 tsp salt
6 cups water
1. Rinse the glutinous rice and add just enough water to cover the rice. Add in 1/2 tsp of the pandan paste. Let it soak for 15-30 minutes.
2. Boil 2 cups water. Add in the soaked rice including the pandan water. Cook the rice for 5 minutes.
3. Cut the taro in 1 inch cubes, don't cut too small as the taro melt. Boil 4 cups water and add in the taro. Cook the taro for 7 minutes or until kinda soft.
4. Take out 2 cups of the water from the taro. leave the water a side in case you need to add more later. Add in the sugar and salt in the taro pot. Stir and cook for another minute.
5. Add the half cooked rice in with the taro. Let it cook for another minute until rice is cooked. Add in the other half of pandan paste, add more if you want a darker color. Taste and add more sugar if necessary.
6. In a bowl, use 2 tbsp of the taro water and mix it with 2 tbsp of tapioca starch. Stir the starch mixture in with the taro rice mixture until thicken.
7. Serve with coconut milk.
1 can coconut milk
1/2 cup water
1 tbsp tapioca starch
3 tbsp sugar
1/2 tsp salt
1. Mix everything together and cook on medium heat until thicken. Stir to prevent sticking to the pot.