'Kam heong chicken' is a very delicious and popular dish served in many Chinese restaurants or eating shops throughout Malaysia. Apart from preparing 'kam heong' dish with chicken, also very popular amongst diners is the clam version, which we would call 'kam heong lala' locally. It's a very easy dish to cook, yet so tasty and fragrant as it uses curry leaves, and goes really well with white rice.
Firstly, prepare the 'kam heong' sauce
- 100g dried prawns, soaked in water
for 10 mins
- 2 tbsp chopped garlic
- 8 shallots, chopped
- 1/2 bowl curry leaves
- 6 bird's eye chillies (cili padi), chopped
- 3 tbsp oil
- 2 tbsp curry powder
- 3 tbsp oyster sauce
- 1 tbsp light soy sauce
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1/2 tsp little dark soy sauce
- Heat 3 tbsp oil and saute the dried prawns, chopped garlic and shallots till very fragrant.
- Add in curry leaves and chopped chillies, all the seasoning and stir fry until aromatic. Remove from heat.
Now that the sauce above is ready, here is how to prepare 'kam heong chicken':
- 2 chicken thighs, cut into pieces
- 5 tbsp 'kam heong' sauce
- 100ml water
- 1 tsp light soy sauce
- 1 tsp oyster sauce
- 1 tsp corn flour
- 1 tsp sesame seed oil
- Mix chicken with marinade and leave for 30 mins in the refrigerator
- Deep fry in hot oil till golden brown
- Heat up 1 tbsp oil and saute 'kam heong' sauce till fragrant
- Add in fried chicken pieces, water & stir well
- Cook until the gravy is thick. Dish up & serve hot.
Enjoy the recipe & Cheers,