1) Soak Dory in salt water for at least 30 mins. Drain & pat dry. Season with pinch of salt/pepper.
2) Mix self-raising & corn flour, oil, salt & pepper. Beat egg & pour half into flour mixture.
3) Add ice water & cubes slowly & whisk into a smooth batter. Adjust water accordingly.
4) Heat oil. Ensure oil is hot enough for deep-frying by sticking your chopsticks into wok. Temperature is right when you see bubbles.
5) Deep fry the fries till golden brown, leaving 1 behind for testing the batter. Drain & set aside. Meanwhile, steam or microwave the mixed vegetables & add butter for flavour.
6) Tip: Test out to see if youâre happy with the batter by coating 1 french fries with corn flour, then dip into batter to deep-fry.
7) If youâre satisfied, do the same with the Dory fillet. For that extra crisp, Iâd always adopt the Chinese way of returning the food into hot oil for a quick dip just before serving! Viola, the result is a light & crispy seafood dish to go with your sides!