For this New Year, I made this delicious fatt koh which means lucky cakes. Got to have some lucky cakes for New Year. This is also a good gift for for family and friends. This is my first time making this and I'm very happy it turns out well. It's great when it's warm. I have to say that it will get a little harder when it's cooled. But all you have to do is microwave for 20 seconds and it's nice and soft again. I used couple flavor to make the different color. I used some ube powder to make the purple, rose paste to make the darker pink, and strawberry jelly powder to make the lighter pink. I'm not including it in the recipe as you can just add coloring. These cakes are so good I'm going to make it again for my family. I think you can eat this any time of the year! The sugar amount is just good so it's not too sweet. Best of luck to everyone!
100 gm cooked rice (cooled)
1/2 tbsp ragi (chinese yeast ball pound into powder)
1 tsp sugar
1/2 - 1 tbsp water
Mix everything together and let it ferment for 3 days. The rice should be soften by then. ***I usually make some extra and after fermenting I just leave it in the refrigerator. It will last a long time and you can use it any time after. This way you don't have to wait for the fermented yeast when you need it right away.
400 grams rice flour (about 1 bag minus 3 tbsp)
175 grams sugar (1 cup minus 2-3 tbsp)
415 ml water
90 grams fermented yeast (about 4 big full tbsp)
4-5 blades of pandan leaves (tie into knots)
pinch of salt
1 tsp baking powder
1. Boil the water and add in the sugar, salt and pandan leaves. Boil until all sugar melted. Remove the pandan leaves and let the sugar water cool.
2. Take some of the sugar water and blend with the 90 grams of fermented yeast. Then mix with flour and the rest of the sugar water. Mix well and then cover and leave at a warm area to ferment overnight or 10 hrs. After 8-10 hrs the mixture should bubble up and light.
3. Stir the mixture and then add in the baking powder. If you want to make different color then divide it into 4 parts. 60% for white since it will be used as the base. Then you can divide the other 3 equally. Let the mixture sit for another 15 minutes.
4. Heat the water for steaming. When the water is ready then you can place cupcakes paper into your molds. Now pour the base in first, at least 80% full and then add the other 3 colour on top. The molds should be 90% -100% full.
5. Steam over high heat for 15-20 minutes depending how large your mold is. Do not open when steaming.
***Note: If you want your cakes to have a extra big smile then use 1 tsp lime juice with 1 tsp water mix. Then use the toothpick to dip into the lime juice and then make a cross on the mixture before baking. Dip again for each cross.
Without using lime juice to make cross.
Used lime juice to make crosses before baking.Report a mistake in the recipe text