Chicken - 1/2 Kg (cut into pieces)
Turmeric powder - 1/2 tsp
Garam Masala powder - 1/2 tsp
Onion - 2
Tomato - 1
Green chillie - 1 (large)
Ginger - 1 piece
Garlic - 3 pods
For making Gravy
Coconut - 3 Tbsps (grated)
Red chilie - 3 (dried)
Coriander - 2 Tbsps
Cashew - 15 Nos
Cardamom - 10 Nos
Cinnamon stick - 1 piece
Cloves - 10 Nos
Coriander leaves for garnishing
Salt - 2 tsps
Oil - 1 Tbsp
1) Marinate the chicken with turmeric powder, 1/2 tsp salt and garam masala powder. Keep this in refrigerator for about 1 hour.
2) In a pan , roast the ingredients for making gravy. Roast the red chillies, coriander, cinnamon, cardamom and cloves together.I had already roasted the red chillies. So I have not added it here. Once the nice aroma starts coming, take if from pan and keep in the mixer for grinding.
In the same pan roast the cashews and keep them in the mixer.
Now roast the grated coconut till it turns brown and keep in the mixer.
3)Grind them all together into a smooth paste by adding little water. Keep this aside.
4) In a thick bottom pan ( Wok ) add oil. Once it is hot , add the grated ginger and garlic. Saute till it turns brown. Add the slitted green chillie and saute for a minute.
6) Add the sliced onion to this. Add salt to it and saute till it turns soft and brown.
7) Add the sliced tomato and saute it till it turns mushy.
8) Add the marinated chicken to this and saute for a few minutes.Now add the gravy from the mixer with enough water to get it cooked.
Keep in medium flame and keep stirring in between.
9) In 15 - 20 minutes the chicken curry will be ready.
Garnish it with Coriander leaves and serve hot with rice / chappathi (Indian flat Bread).