I fancied making something a bit more tropical, these were meant to just be pineapple and coconut cupcakes but unfortunately my poor pineapple extract ran out just as I was adding it to the buttercream so I had to add some banana as well so the buttercream didn't end up tasting just of vanilla. I decided to make these really nice and brightly coloured so I added some blue food colouring to the buttercream to make them look bright and tropical :). I had great fun making these and after my mam taking them into her work I got my first paid order for some cupcakes yayyy!! :). I'm so pleased, it's one of my mam's workmate's birthdays soon and she's having people over to her house and wants me to make 48 cupcakes in 4 different flavours according to a colour theme shes having, I'm so excited, I've already started making a list of possible flavours I could do even though its not for a couple of months..oh well..gotta start somewhere hehe!
Tropical Pineapple Banana Coconut Cupcakes
220g white sugar
300g self raising flour
4 tablespoons milk
2 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 teaspoons coconut extract
1. Beat together the butter and the sugar in a bowl until light and fluffy, add the eggs one by one beating for a minute after each addition.
2. Alternate the dry ingredients, flour, with the milk, beating in additions. Beat in vanilla extract and coconut extract.
3. Pour into cupcake liners and bake for 25 minutes in a 175C oven or until a skewer is inserted into the centre and comes out clean. Allow to cool for 5 minutes in pan and then turn out onto wire rack.
Pineapple Banana Buttercream
225g icing sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 teaspoon pineapple extract
1 teaspoon banana extract
blue food colouring
1 tablespoon milk
1. Beat the butter until softened and light, beat in the icing sugar bit by bit, adding vanilla extract and milk when needed.
2. Beat in other extracts and finish with milk and beat until desired consistency has been achieved.Report a mistake in the recipe text