Especially after a day at work and a hectic one at that, I'm always for a quick tasty dinner prepared at home. We opted for noodles rather than rice. So I decided to put together a couple of plates of crispy egg noodles and used whatever I already had in the fridge. This is my quick version of a very popular noodle dish back in Malaysia!
"Sang Har Mien" literally means Fresh Water Prawns mee. Normally the flavor of the fresh water prawn is stronger than salt water ones. The succulent prawns are usually split into two and is served with the crispy noodles. A whole beaten egg is then added to the hot thick gravy and is poured over the noodles. It's simply a very delicious dish altogether.Sang Har Mien (Prawns with Crispy Egg Noodles) - My Quick Version
6 medium size tiger prawns (remove heads, leave the shell intact)
1/3 cup sliced shitake mushroom
100g thinly sliced chicken breast
8 thin slices of fish cake
2 pieces of crispy egg noodle (the noodles usually come in a small round bundle and would be available in any Asian store)
1 small bunch of choy sum (or any other leafy green vegetable)
2 stalks spring onions, cut into 4cm lengths
2 cloves garlic, smashed and chopped finely
1 tbsp finely sliced young ginger
3 cups chicken stock stock (or 3 cups water + 1 cube of Knorr's chicken cube)
1½ Tbsp cornflour mixed with 1 Tbsp water
1 large egg, beaten lightly
Sesame oil, soya sauce and white pepper for seasoningMethod
1) Using a stock pot, add 3 cups of stock, garlic and ginger and bring to a boil.
2) Turn fire to medium heat, add in the chicken and bring to a boil. Then throw in the fish cake and mushrooms and bring to a boil.
3) Then add in the prawns, followed by the beaten egg. Once it starts to simmer add in the cornflour mixture until the entire stock has thicken (it should look a bit gooey). Finally add in the green vegetables and spring onion.
4) Season stock with a drizzle of sesame oil and pinch of white pepper. If required, add soya sauce to taste.
5) Put crispy noodle on a plate and then place into the microwave. Set your microwave to high grill for 30 seconds. Take noodle out to taste if it's cripsy and warm. If not, high grill it for another 15 seconds. (Your grilling time will depend on the microwave capacity). If you don't have a microwave, you would need to do quickly deep fry the noodles in a pot of very hot oil until it turns golden brown and is crispy.
6) To serve pour the gravy directly onto the crispy noodle and serve with deep fried shallots and sliced red chillies.